Currently, there are over 112,000 residents that call The Woodlands home. When The Woodlands was owned by Mitchell Energy & Development, the community was once projected to reach up to 180,000 residents. This was due to the high mortgage rates when more multifamily residences were anticipated. The Woodlands is now projected to be just over 130,000 residents at buildout. The graph above was plotted using data from The Woodlands Community Facts.
Ian McHarg did wonderful work studying the environmental issues on the whole 25,000 acres. We did such a good job that HUD then used the plan that we had as an example for other projects in the country. The concept would be 7 villages, totaling 125,000 people.
Even though The Woodlands land area has increased by 67% from its inception to its current size, the current projected population and employment at full development has actually decreased due to a lower density of development and preservation of open space.
On October 19, 1974, The Woodlands celebrated its grand opening and the introduction of this new community to the Houston marketplace. Progress over the years has been achieved through the collaborative efforts of our employees, residents, governmental agencies, churches, civic organizations... Read More
- The Woodlands Community Facts 2022
- The Woodlands Community Facts 2021
- The Woodlands Community Facts 2020
- The Woodlands Community Facts 2019
- The Woodlands Community Facts 2018
- The Woodlands Community Facts 2017
- The Woodlands Township’s 2018 Economic Outlook Presentation
- The Woodlands Development Company’s 2018 Economic Outlook Presentation
- The Woodlands Township Cultural Arts Study
- The Woodlands Community Facts
- 1972 Project Agreement Between The United States of America and The Woodlands Development Corporation
- The Woodlands Population - Ultimate Projection vs Actual
- The Woodlands Demographics
- The Woodlands Texas Environmental Action Plan 2006